Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Blog #54 - Wasted Time and Communication

This is totally based on a true story:

So, Saturday as I was driving back to home (well, sitting in traffic going 2 mph on the Turnpike is more like it) from a most epic weekend, I got hit with a text from Christian*. "You free Tuesday?" I replied with a yes and asked why. I got "Because I want to drive down to see you". Okay, cool. I let him know that I should be home around 5 and he replies that he's off all day so he'll see me Tuesday at 5. Saturday passes, Sunday passes, Monday comes. Around 7:30, I sent Christian a text to confirm that he was coming down the next day and he said yes. I thought about where we would go for dinner and things to do afterwards because that's what happens when he comes down or when I go up to him - we have dinner, a few drinks and just kick it and enjoy each other's company.

Tuesday comes and I left work at 4:30 (if I didn't have plans, I'm pretty sure I would have left around 5:15 or later). I figured it takes about 45 minutes to get from Christian's house to mine based on where he lives, so I shot him a text when I got in the car to see if he left yet so I can judge how far away he is to see if I have time to do some minor running around. Nothing...no response. I thought "hmmm...maybe he's driving and didn't hear it". No, it's not an excuse...that happens to me all the time. Even with my earpiece in, I will straight miss a phone call because I have the windows open and I'm jamming to my iPod like I have no damn sense. Anyways, I got home, changed into some sweats, played with the puppy and before long, I noticed that it was 6:30...still no Christian. At this point, I pretty much figured our plans were done and I was a little worried so I called to see if he was okay. No answer again. If I hit someone up to kick it and then was suddenly unable to make it, you better believe that person will know somehow. Hell, I was laid up in the hospital on a Sunday afternoon and I had the ability to shoot my boss a text that said "in the hospital. They're keeping me overnight".

I thought maybe it was just me having daddy issues from when my step-dad used to do that to me as a little kid (on some random Saturday, Lil TwinkerBelle used to sit on the couch by her front door in her pretty outfit and barrettes waiting for him to show up because he said he would come pick her up at 11 to go school clothes shopping. And she would sit...and sit...and sit. And eventually fall asleep on the couch) but I spoke to two different guys about the situation and they both said that Christian is a douchebag and that it's fugged up that he would be the one to make plans and then bail without some sort of communication. I do think my daddy issues have lead to me being EXTRA irritated about it...but I think it would irritate someone who's father was the best father to them, so that nullifies that. So, I ask you...

Why hit a person up to go out, confirm the day before and then just be a no call/no show the day of? Can one be that inconsiderate of someone else's time that you think they have nothing else to do that day? I do understand that unexpected things happen, but I mean, damn. Can't even shoot a "Can't make it"? Is lack of communication rampant in men my age range (27-32) these days? I haven't been in a relationship or dating someone exclusively roughly since November - and even the break-up on his end lacked communication (How do I find out via a twitpic and not from you. Come on, son). But anyways, do people communicate anymore? Not just talk...people can talk all the time. Communication requires that the person not speaking comprehend and understand...even if you disagree in the end. Is not communicating some new-fangled Tresvant ish from "Generation Real Wrong"? Is communication more important to women than it is to men and if so, how does a couple maintain a relationship without equal parts of communication from both parties. It means nothing if one is speaking but the other isn't listening. Is communication dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment