Friday, December 17, 2010

Blog #42 - Kinky Curly and My Experiment

I wanted to write a quick blog about Kinky Curly and the curling custard, so...here it is!

So...I have heard from some of my forum friends and via my mother about this hair care line called Kinky-Curly (http://kinky-curly.com) that's designed to let you "Stop being a slave to your hair. Step away from the blowdryer. Unplug that flat iron. Go Natural and experience the freedom of wash and go hair. Natural hair is beautiful hair and with the right products and styling techniques can flourish and grow to great lengths!" (and that's straight from the website homepage, btw). My mother knows my struggle with finding hair products to make my curls look nice and purty so she was in Targét (yeah, I called Target Targét...don't judge...lol), saw the product and bought me the spritz and the curling custard. I'm going out tonight and I always hate going out with straight hair because I'm a dancing machine and I sweat my hair out, so I said "self, let's try this curling custard" and we got in the shower, washed the hair (which, coincidentally still had henna in it. I told you it's like rinsing dirt out) and conditioned it and got out. On the jar, it says that if you have thick coarse hair to use the product when your hair is soaking wet. Towel-drying it is no bueno because of frizz and yadda yadda yadda. I sat down and started to part my hair. THIS IS WHERE I'M NOT HAPPY - while I realized that putting the henna in my hair would loosen my curls, I didn't know it would loosen them THIS much. I got a relaxer in like October but with every relaxer (and I only get one no more than 3-4 times a year), I've always maintained my curls. My hair is like bone straight from my roots to about 3/4 down (basically damn near to my ends). My solution to this was to twist my hair and hit it with the diffuser (because I don't have the time/patience to airdry tonight...lol) and then comb through the twists once it was dry enough and then hit it with the diffuser again. And that plan went though.

When I was first finished with it, I felt like it looked like a failed experiment from the island of Dr. Moreau, but I'm kind of okay with it now. I think it could look so much better, but I have to let the henna grow out which is going to take months, so my curly plan is to just twist, diffuse, twist out and diffuse some more.

Oh well. C'est la vie. Adios, mis amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment