Sunday, June 6, 2010

Blog #16 - Red Hair & the Identification Problems with It...

I'm forewarning you that this will probably turn into a vent on ethnicity, personal frustrations (like it's not already...lol) or just a plain ass vent.

So, I want to change my hair color. I want to go red. But...here's my issue with that. I try to look for color idea online. So, I go to the ever-faithful Google and type in "red hair colors for black women". On damn near each and every website that I go to, it says that you have to find your "color tone" to "compliment your complexion. Here's where I have a problem. The color tones are mostly grouped as follows:

You're likely a "warm" if you have golden, olive or dark skin and brown or dark eyes (most Latinas, Asians and African Americans fall into this category). "Warm" women tan easily and the veins in their inner wrists are green.

You're a "cool" if you have fair skin and blue or green eyes, you burn before you tan and the veins in your wrists run blue. If you're confused because you sometimes burn, sometimes tan, you likely skew warm.

If you know me, then you know that 1 - I am a Latina/African American mix with dark brown eyes and hair and; 2 - I'm pale as hell, burn before I tan (IF I tan, but that's a horse of a different color...clever. Score 1 for me...lol) and the veins in my wrist are blue for the most part. Sometimes they look green. SO...the question begs: am I a warm or am I a cool? HAAAAAALP!

I've also heard stories that it also depends on what colors you look good in. If that's the case, then I'm REALLY fucked because I look good in every color. Not even being cocky. Purple, green, pink, yellow, black, orange, burnt orange, turquoise, fuchsia...any color you can think of, I look awesome in.

Anyways...so my search for the perfect red hair color is on. Websites told me that I should go see a makeup artist or an aesthetician to determine my perfect color. What good does that do me when my bff/makeup artist lives in Florida and my aesthetician cousin has a baby? NONE!!! And I can't look at celebrity pictures, because damn near everyone with red hair does not look like me. I have yet to see one pale person with dark brown damn-near-black hair and dark brown eyes go from dark brown to red. Not a 1. Where are all the people that look like me with red hair? I've tried "red hair colors for black women", "red hair colors for pale skin and dark hair", "red hair colors for latinas". Nothing.

I digress. Let's hit publish post.

No comments:

Post a Comment